Thursday, April 2, 2009

Thankful

I wish I could record all of the funny and cute things my kids say. Tonight while daddy was cooking dinner (yes, I am exceedingly and abundantly blessed) we were playing Apples to Apples and generally being silly. We were certainly not in a particularly spiritual frame of mind. As we sat down to dinner, Daddy asked each of us what we are thankful for. Samuel (4 years old) immediately said, "Because we get to see Papa again." Now, I thought he meant Poppy, since we are heading to FL next week to see my parents. So I asked, "when do we get to see Papa again?" Sam: "when we go to heaven." Next, Izaiah said, "I am thankful for the Lord allowing us in a few years to build these cabins out here at Habitat for Hope for families to use. And also I am thankful that Mom and Dad told us we are the most important thing to them, other than God and each other." Then Bella, "I am thankful that we have clean water to drink and food to eat, and for Mom and Dad."
And then it came to me. I just sat there dumbfounded, thinking that I had nothing to say after that. Daddy came to my rescue and said, "Mommy and Daddy are thankful for three amazing children that are such a blessing to us."

I do spend a fair amount of time beating myself up for not doing "enough" with the kids - enough school, enough bible, enough life, etc...feeling like I am pulled in 700 directions. I remarked to Mark recently that I feel sometimes that God is taking the small portions I am able to impart and growing them exponentially in these kids' hearts - and allowing them to develop hearts after faith, service and love for those that can offer nothing in return.

We are thankful.

4 comments:

Tonya April 2, 2009 at 7:40 PM  

AAWWW... that is the SWEETEST story! Mylissa, your kids are AMAZING! Our boys talk about them all the time. (I think even THEY are AMAZED at how SMART they are!)

We're missing you guys already! I hope you have a great trip.

I ♥ You!

robin cornett April 3, 2009 at 5:46 PM  

That's awesome. I would have been crying all over the table.

Jessie April 10, 2009 at 11:58 AM  

this is a perfect example of how the most important thing we can "do" for our children, is to let them see the gospel lived out in our lives. you are modeling for them a selfless, giving, grateful life.

Anonymous April 13, 2009 at 10:41 PM  

Praying right now!
Isaiah 40:28-31 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Prayer BearsMy email address