Saturday, August 2, 2008

Mercy and Peace...

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12

Some of you will remember that Romans 12:12 was the scripture we used for Bella’s prayer card back in 2003. So many of you have been joyful with us, patient with us, and of course, so faithful to pray…I wanted you to rejoice with us in this information.

Bella was due this past week back to St Jude for her regular 6 month check up. You will remember that her protocol called for the following:

Every 6 months CT scans for the first 5 years after treatment is over (Oct 04)
Yearly CT scans for the next 5 years (until she is 14)

After Dr Furman gave us the good results of her latest CT, we asked about upcoming CT’s. I had a whole arsenal of questions to ask regarding additional radiation and long term effects. He asked if we had any questions, and Mark said, “well, we were sort of wondering how often we will continue to come back…” And Dr Furman says, “you know, Sandy and I were just talking about that, and we think she can come back in January for her scheduled CT, and then after that she will be 5 years out from diagnosis, and she can go to ACT clinic.”

ACT clinic if “after completion of treatment”. This means she will not be scanned, she will simply be checked for any abnormal after-effects of treatment, and they will talk to us about how she is doing. She will probably go here for a few years, or until we feel she can be done. She will continue to be monitored by dermatology for any spots or lesions that could show up.

Today, I received our January schedule in the mail. On it is our “introductory ACT visit” appointment. Simply amazing!

For the past five years, I have lived with the thought that Bella would get scans until she was 14 years old. It really feels like the Lord is releasing some things in our lives right now, and moving us into another stage. All the glory to God, and so many thanks for continuing to follow us on this journey.

We love you!!

7 comments:

Anonymous August 2, 2008 at 10:18 PM  

OH this is wonderful news!!!!!!!!!!
I'm thrilled for your family!
This is the second half of the hymn "Abide with Me." The words are so comforting. Know that I'm still here praying!

5. Thou on my head in every youth didst smile,
And though rebellious and perverse meanwhile,
Thou hast not left me, oft as I left Thee.
On to the close, O Lord, abide with me.

6. I need Thy presence every passing hour;
What but Thy grace can foil the Tempter's power?
Who like Thyself my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, oh, abide with me!

7. I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;
Ills have no weight and tears no bitterness.
Where is death's sting? where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still if Thou abide with me.

8. Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes,
Shine through the gloom, and point me to the skies.
Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;
In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me!

Prayer Bears

Jessie August 3, 2008 at 8:26 AM  

wonderful news. what a relief!

Caw of the Crow August 3, 2008 at 8:12 PM  

Oh Mylissa... What a GREAT thing!!! I am sure it is a Wonderful feeling!! Yippie!! I am SO looking forward to that day, too!! God is so Good!!
Lots of LOVE & HOPE
Gretchen

Adam and Annie August 6, 2008 at 7:20 AM  

What amazing news to hear! What a blessing and a relief. We're so happy for you guys. I second Gretchen, God IS so good!

Anonymous August 6, 2008 at 10:08 PM  

Whatever you're going through, lift it up to the Lord. He's there to get you through it! Always praying!
1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
Prayer Bears

Anonymous August 8, 2008 at 10:52 PM  

Christ died that we might have hope and salvation through Him. Praying so right now!
Isaiah 53:3-5 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
Prayer Bears

Anonymous August 9, 2008 at 9:46 PM  

These are wonderful words of comfort and hope. Still praying in Seattle!
2 Samuel 22:29-33 For thou art my lamp, O LORD: and the LORD will lighten my darkness. For by thee I have run through a troop: by my God have I leaped over a wall. As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him. For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God? God is my strength and power: and he maketh my way perfect.
Prayer Bears